Active search icon


Extreme heat, high demand and bushfires can all put the network under pressure, causing outages. We want to make sure that you’re prepared and have our support and help should you need it. 

Prepare for a bushfire 

During a bushfire, you may experience a gas or electrical outage, even if your property isn’t directly affected by fire. Fixing your outage may take several hours, as we need to safely access the area to make repairs.  


Get prepared for bushfires by: 

  • Making sure you have a bushfire plan and be clear about when to leave. You can contact your local community fireguard or CFA to assist with your bushfire plan. 

  • Installing an alternative water supply and back-up generator to pump water. 

  • Keeping a mobile phone handy and try to ensure you have a full battery. 

  • Ensuring you have access to battery-operated torches, radios and spare batteries. 

  • Review your plan each year and check all related equipment on a regular basis.


What if I’ve been affected by a bushfire? 

Your safety

If you’re returning to your property in a bushfire impacted area: 

  • Please take extreme care and caution. 

  • Do not approach damaged or fallen powerlines, as they can cause severe injury or death.  

  • Please seek the advice of police and other emergency services, as to whether it’s safe to return to your property.


Getting your power back on 

In bushfire affected areas we’ll work street by street to assess the damage and start to reconnect your power. Where possible, we'll connect you as soon as supply is up and running in your area. 

If we can’t get your power back on, we ‘ll leave a letter at your property letting you know. You’ll need to contact a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) before the electricity connection can be made. 

If your property was damaged/destroyed and you want a temporary electricity supply, please contact an REC to arrange this. For example, to power a caravan. 

Once your REC has completed works on your property, they will call the retailer to arrange the connection. The REC will supply the retailer an Electrical Works Request (EWR) and a Certificate of Electrical Safety (CES) for a connection.